Tuesday, November 11, 2008

ragamuffin to ragamuffin

once a year i read "the ragamuffin gospel" along with about 12 other books. . . i know, i'm weird. my yearly literary task was in the low single digits until i got addicted to a certain series and now i have to read the entire series each calendar year. . .

but back to the reason i read "the ragamuffin gospel". . . i was raised in the grand tradition of fundamental legalism. if it was fun, it wasn't "legal." i was also raised with certain micro sized-comic book-type tracts that frankly, scared me silly. God loved me enough to send His only Son and His celestial CIA - spying on my every thought, word, and deed - all caught on film (this was before VCRs) and to be shown to my great embarrassment to the cast of thousands just before i entered heaven. God was not a kind grandfather waiting to embrace me at the gates. He was a judge, making sure i was well aware of the legal loophole that Christ's death had opened just wide enough for unworthy miscreants like myself.

when i finally did cross that line between exhaustive playacting and real faith, i carried with me a wide variety of the letter-of-the-law kind of baggage. you know the sort. . . i'm sure you do!
so it wasn't until someone gave me a copy of brennan manning's epistle to the shamed saved and desperately driven and i read. . .

"Though the Scriptures insist on God's initiative in the work of salvation - that by grace we are saved, that the Tremendous Lover has taken to the chase- our spirituality often starts with self, not God. Personal responsibility has replaced personal response. We talk about acquiring virtue as if it were a skill that can be attained like good handwriting or a well-grooved golf swing . In the penitential seasons we focus on overcoming our weaknesses, getting rid of our hang-ups, and reaching Christian maturity. We sweat through various spiritual exercises as if they were designed to produce a Christian Charles Atlas.
Though lip service is paid to the gospel of grace, many Christians live as if it is only personal discipline and self-denial that will mold the perfect me. The emphasis is on what I do rather than on what God is doing."

i found a respite from my quest for perfection for myself and those unfortunate enough to be in my "circle of influence". . . i found grace.

there is not one thing i can do today that will make God love me more nor one thing i can do today that will make Him love me less.

and i love Him all the more for that.

7 comments:

  1. so em, can i assume you are a ragamuffin too?
    and thanks for the hug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read it, if that's what you mean. :) It just seemed more appropriate, somehow, to post a hug on this than on the Part of Your World video....

    ReplyDelete
  3. BUT, yes, a ragamuffin, I'm pretty sure. :) We had a great SS teacher at HSC for a while, nicknamed The Hilge, who taught grace like I've never heard it taught before. Same general idea, and our family drank it all up. Of course, that doesn't mean it's easy to remember...

    ReplyDelete
  4. . . . or easy to live out day-to-day either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was converted to grace by this book as well, and my life was forever changed. Manning helped me to finally know how wide and high and long and deep the love of Jesus is and trust in His faithfulness to me more than my own to Him. Now I will always be proud to be a ragamuffin!

    ReplyDelete